Introduction of the course. How does it differ from traditional language learning?
This course is a new approach that focuses on contemporary intercultural communication in a multicultural community and/or international collaboration.
The key to many complex situations is the ability to listen, understand, express oneself clearly, assert oneself or resolve conflicts. In a foreign language, this is more complicated, because we do not understand the nuances of the language as well as in our mother tongue.
Grammatically correct phrases can well persuade the communication partner and may also interfere with communication. It all depends on:
- how much do you perceive cultural differences and
- know the message or the effect your words convey to the other party,
- are able to choose the sentence structure to convey your message.
- and are able to avoid misunderstandings caused by misuse of language.
During the course, we deal with polishing the English language communication skills and verbalization skills in different situations.
Below is a list of situations and skills that need the most improvement in the work environment.
Each team can choose from a combination thereof according to their own needs that are desired to be improved during the course.
|Communication skills||Communication situation|
|Active listening||Leading meetings|
|Communication barriers that should be known and avoided||Negotiating|
|Self-assertion skills||E-mail communication|
|Persuasion skills||Diplomatic language depending on the situation|
|Conflict management||Group processes in the international team|
We learn to motivate, persuade, listen, assert ourselves and strongly make our point in English.
The benefits of the course:
The work process or the team becomes faster and smoother, because
- the amount of time-consuming impediments to communication caused by misunderstanding or inadvertent offending is reduced
- the interest and willingness to work together will increase
- the atmosphere and the work outcomes of the team will improve
Methods: Co-vision methods, short tasks in pairs or groups, for practicing communication situations in a foreign language context.
The target group of the course
Managers of companies and team leaders from various fields whose work environment requires the ability to build English-language co-operation.
The volume of the course:
Course modules can be selected 3x 4 ac/h or 4×3 ac/h or 8 ac/h at a time. The course duration is based on the topics agreed upon with the customer.
E.g., 2-day training (4 academic hours on each day)
- Description of a conflict situation (case study)
- Interpersonal skills (motivational inspiration, persuasion skills)
The course will be conducted by: Evelyn Soidla, Aino Kuntsel